Supporting Immunity Through the HolidaysNov 29, 2023
Stress + Cold weather + holiday parties + marginal eating = ?
It's that time of year again! Nature is slowing down and going into its quiet, restful season. Hoo boy have I been longing to join mother nature in that quiet, relaxed place! However, this is the time when we as humans have decided to load up the schedule, amp up the gatherings, and generally do everything we can to create the perfect conditions for catching the latest bug that's going around. I feel torn because I love the lights, the celebration, the cooking, and all the ballyhoo, so I have to be strategic about how I support my (and my family's) system so we can enjoy all the fun without getting knocked down.
Of course, the best things we can do to support our immune system are all the basics we know so well:
- Sleep!--optimally at least 8-9 hours per night
- Hydrate--2 liters of water (or herbal tea) per day
- Minimize sugar, alcohol, and "white flour"
- 5 servings per day of fresh fruits and veggies
However, even with trying to keep up on all the basics, or if you struggle to get those done in the midst of December chaos, adding in some nutrients and botanicals can make a big difference! Here are some of my favorites:
General Daily Support:
- Vitamin C, quercetin, and bioflavonoids help to keep the respiratory system healthy and decrease inflammation. I like a product called Aller-C by Vital Nutrients
- Omega 3's also keep cells healthy and less prone to swelling. I like Nordic Naturals' arctic omega
More intensive Support:
- MY TOP FAVORITE preventative for when you're fighting cold or flu is a product called Biotic Extra by Priority One. It has a blend of vitamin A, Zinc, immune supportive mushrooms, and garlic to power boost the immune system
For specific symptoms:
- Thick, goopy mucus--NAC (N acetyl cysteine) is an amino acid that can help to thin mucus and support respiratory health
- Dr Kaycie's Cough and cold syrup--My latest batch is ready! This is a blend of my favorite botanicals for healing nose and throat, clearing out the goop, and getting you feeling better. Send me a message if you want some of this!
Here's to a beautiful, healthy holiday season!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.